This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
Model building is a hobby and career that involves the creation of physical models either from kits or from materials and components acquired by the builder. The kits contain several pieces that need to be assembled in order to make a final model. Most model-building categories have a range of common scales that make them manageable for the average person both to complete and display. A model is generally considered physical representations of an object and maintains accurate relationships between all of its aspects.
The model building kits can be classified according to skill levels that represent the degree of difficulty for the hobbyist. These include skill level 1 with snap-together pieces that do not require glue or paint; skill level 2, which requires glue and paint; and, skill level 3 kits that include smaller and more detailed parts. Advanced skill levels 4 and 5 kits ship with components that have extra-fine details. Particularly, level 5 requires expert-level skills.
Model building as career
Model building is not exclusively a hobbyist pursuit. The complexity of assembling representations of actual objects has become a career for several people, and is heavily applicable in film making. There are, for instance, those who build models/props to commemorate historic events, employed to construct models using past events as a basis to predict future events of high commercial interest.
The categories of modelling include
- Scale model building
- Live steam models
- Model engineering
- Matchstick models
- Military models
- Model aircraft
- Model cars
- Model commercial vehicles
- Model construction vehicles
- Building models
- Architectural models
- Model figures
- Model military vehicles
- Rail transport modelling
- Model rockets
- Ship models
- Freelance model
- Cardboard engineering
- Firearm models (such as Airsoft guns)
- Gundam models
- "Model Builder: What Is It? and How to Become One?". ZipRecruiter. Retrieved 2022-03-07.
- "How to become a model maker - CareerExplorer". www.careerexplorer.com. Retrieved 2022-03-07.
- "A Beginner's Guide to Model Building - Part 1 of a 4 part series | Hobby and Toy Central". hobbyandtoycentral.com. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Hasluck, Paul (2013). Building Model Boats - Including Sailing and Steam Vessels. Read Books Ltd. ISBN 9781473347410.
- Stevenson, Lynne Warner; Davis, Roger B. (2016-08-01). "Model Building as an Educational Hobby". Circulation: Heart Failure. 9 (8): e003457. doi:10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.116.003457. ISSN 1941-3289. PMID 27514752.